Job Summary: The Executive Director shall
- · Work with the Board of Trustees and its committees to develop the focused direction for the next phase of growth and success of the Museum of Culpeper History (MCH) and to insure its visibility in and relevance to the community, as well as long-term sustainability.
- · Be responsible for providing innovative leadership and expertise in all aspects of daily operations, planning, finances and promotion of the MCH to assure the site is managed and collections preserved and meaningfully interpreted to the highest professional standard.
- · Work effectively with part-time staff, a volunteer curator, volunteers and interns while providing general assistance to donors, museum visitors, community members, researchers and schools.
- · Prepare a monthly written report for the Board of Trustees to include but not limited to Admissions/Shop Sales figures, updated membership and Heritage Cabinet data, upcoming events, recent acquisitions and loans in collections, maintenance issues and current requests.
- · Research, write and implement grants to include Town of Culpeper and Culpeper County annual grant appeals and the required twelve grant applications in 2017 for FoundationSearch.
- · Work with the Finance Committee to prepare an annual budget for the approval of the Board of Trustees and work with BOT members to increase revenue and manage a balanced budget.
- · Oversee fundraising projects, membership appeal, the Heritage Cabinet donor program, and Legacy Giving. Additionally, the Executive Director will prepare donation acknowledgements and retain an accurate/current file of donor activity and participation.
- · Assure exhibits are updated and renewed frequently and all exhibitions are adequately labeled and in excellent condition.
- · Enhance public relations and public awareness of museum events by developing social media campaigns, overseeing the Museum of Culpeper History website and Constant Contact E-blasts, writing Public Service Announcements and articles for local news sources, and developing mail outs and flyers for special events.
- · Work with the museum’s Director of Education to develop, coordinate and promote innovative, engaging in-house and out-reach education programs and work closely with local public and private schools and home-school groups.
- · Develop a partnership and regularly communicate with local governance, Culpeper Town and County Library, Friends of Cedar Mountain Battlefield, Brandy Station Battlefield Association, BS-CMB State Park Affiliation, Windmore Foundation, Culpeper Arts Commission , Department of Culpeper Tourism, Culpeper Chamber of Commerce, Culpeper Renaissance, Inc. and other local and state entities which may impact the MCH.
- · Plan and execute special events for members, donors and guests.
- · Work a variable schedule as needed due to occasional night and weekend events.
- · Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary in the future and for the benefit of the Museum of Culpeper History.
- · Minimum education requires a Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, history, archives, or related field. An advanced degree is preferred
- · Professional experience with non-profit, business, or historic site/museum management with demonstrated expertise in fund raising, relationship building with staff, boards and potential donors
- · Analytical and problem solving skills, project and team management skills
- · Excellent time-management and organizational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task efficiently.
- · Demonstrated understanding and commitment to the values and mission of the Museum of Culpeper History
- · Effective and inspiring team leadership skills, and success in managing staff and volunteers with wide-ranging skill sets
- · Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- · Knowledge of best practices for collections management
- · Strong computer skills with a working knowledge of POS, Quick Books, Excel, Power Point, and various social media required
- · Willingness to work a flexible schedule
Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Museum of Culpeper History is an equal opportunity employer.